Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since my last post. I've been thinking about what to write about but so much has happened that it would be so hard to pinpoint just one topic. I figured I would leave you with a list of all the crazy things we've experienced since my last update (in no particular order):

1. Walked my first marathon (27 mile day)

2. Reached 500 miles (right now we are at about 560)

3. Night hiked for the first time

4. Saw a skunk while night hiking...and then it chased after Dan and I. Luckily we did not get sprayed...but it was a close call for sure

5. Walked along the Aqua Duct for 20 something miles

6. Successfully completed the Mojave Desert section

7. Saw a fox

8. Walked through giant wind farms that sound a lot like airplanes

9. Hiked and camped in a massive wind storm of about 70 mph winds...Part of our tent broke, a tree fell over, and some hikers were literally crawling on the trail because they couldn't stand. Scary stuff.

10. Ordered pizza under a highway bridge

11. Slept / played yahtzee under a [different] bridge to beat the heat of the Mojave

12. A coyote stole our friends underwear at night

13. Witnessed a chocolate syrup wrestling match

14. Had my first face plant...into a giant burnt up poodle dog bush.

15. Inherited a couple more trail names...one of which is a buzzer sound the other is Hot Mess

16. I typically wear shoe size 7.5...I am now at a size 10! my poor feet hate me

17. Hung out in some hot springs that were frequented by Charles Manson

18. Walked across a bridge that was supposed to be closed off...if you know me, you know I have a major fear of bridges so this was huge for me (and maybe a bit stupid)

19. Met a lot of new friends, each have their own reasons for hiking this trail and all with pretty amazing stories to tell. A couple of them are hiking to raise awareness for different diseases that have in some way affected their lives. This has inspired me to do my best to help out the niece of a dear friend of mine. Baby Charlotte is a year old and was diagnosed with an extremely rare brain and spinal cord tumor called Gliofibroma. Her family is trying to raise money to help the Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke. To read Charlottes story and make donations please check out the following link : http://dccc.convio.net/site/TR?pg=team&fr_id=1110&team_id=6460

I would love to try to raise at least the number of miles I complete on this journey. It's for a wonderful cause!

I miss everyone and appreciate all the love and support you have shown. It definitely hasn't been easy but the encouragement is what keeps me going.

Hugs to all and can't wait to see everyone again. I'm about to enter the High Sierras in the next week or so, so wish me luck! Could be the hardest part of the trail yet!

Jamie




On top of Baden-Powell



Early morning in the Mojave


Part of the crew in Wrightwood


500 miles!!! Officially thru-hikers (according to our thru-hiker permits)


Walking in the Mojave

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. You both should be very proud of what you have already accomplished. Everyone is routing for you! Love and miss you lots. Stay strong and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete